Our Family

Our Family
Glenn, April, Rebekah, Miriam, Marcus, and Dallin

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Date Night

Glenn and I switched with a couple in our ward for date nights. So Saturday night we went out on a date. We decided it would be fun to go to an area just north of us that we had not explored yet. The area was a mile away and it would have been just as much work to use the subway so we decided to walk. It was a chilly night, but not bitter. So we walked our mile north and had a great talk. We made it to Montegue Street and walked along trying to find a resturant. After eating a nice meal and enjoying the warmth we ventured outside for our walk home. Once we got out there we realized it was sprinkling rain. It wasn't too bad so we made the best of it and kept walking. Within five minutes it began to pour rain. Finding ourselves a mile away from home in the cold rain and with not cash for a taxi and having no umbrella we were in for an interesting evening. So what was our best option...yep a nice jog in the rain. So we booked it with our heavy coats, gloves, and hats on. Every now and then we would stop at a restuarant overhang and wipe our eyes so we could see better. We were completely soaked within seconds.

I had to laugh a little, because it makes me believe that we (Glenn and I) don't learn our lessons. The ironic thing is that the first time we visited brooklyn to find housing we got stuck in the rain with no umbrella or cash for a car. We ran that day too. We ran from our new apartment to our hotel which was yes, probably a mile or a little longer. At least that rain was warm. I do think I was unbeleivable wet the first time, done to the bone, so at least I am learning to run faster or maybe the extra layers helped.

When will we ever learn, until then, I really don't mind running in the rain, it makes it all that much more fun. Then again, I don't mind paying $7 to have a dry ride home either.

8 comments:

Rebecca Smylie said...

A couple of weeks ago my mom was here, and we decided to walk home through Central park. We were at the bottom of the park and I live at the top. Suffice to say, we had the money for a cab, but since we were in the middle of the park...we got home and hour and a half later and were thoroughly soaked. April--looks like things are going well for you guys here. I don't have your email because before we were emailing from my work account, but email me and let's definitely plan a time to get together. We'd love to have you up here, or if it's too much to get here we'll come visit you.

Elizabeth said...

I'm giggling just thinking about you and Glenn jogging in the rain on your date! I love it! Can you remind me again what a date is?

Maren said...

every time I read your blog I think how fun/hard it would be to live in NYC. Even getting cought in the rain!

Rachael said...

Hey Glenn and April - I stumbled across your blog from the Duffs. We live just across from you on the Gold Coast in CT. Greg's in Greenwich every day for work. I am so amazed and impressed with how you're adjusting to NYC life with your two girls. We'd love to get together sometime.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

It sounds like you too got more than you bargained for, but probably made for a memorable date.

I actually think that we are going to be in NY next year. At least that is what Stella is telling McKay. I believe her words were, "You are going to NY next year." We'll see.

kira said...

I think it would be hard to get used to the idea of always needing to have an umbrella or money for a cab. I'm sure we would be runnin' in the rain right along with ya. What a great story!

Jules said...

It's a good thing you are in such good shape. I don't think I could have run that far. What a fun memory, especially when you don't live in New York anymore.

Nadia said...

I remember that night so well. Jeremy and I and Sonia in the stroller went to get a few things at target. On our way home we bravelly faced the storm. The wind was at 55 mph so it was really a storm but it wasn't all that cold.