Our Family

Our Family
Glenn, April, Rebekah, Miriam, Marcus, and Dallin

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cookies gone Dangerous

Well, we thought we would try our oven out and inciate it with a nice batch of chocolate chip cookies that were meant for our family home evening treat. I made the cookies and turned the oven on and then we went in to the girls room for FHE. About half way through I smelled something. This is what I came out to. Pure panic set in. I was sure there was a fire blazing in our kitchen. I closed the girls door and ran into the kitchen to see that it wasn't blazing there. However, I opened the oven and saw a fire in there. I quickly called Glenn in who put the fire out. We finally blew the majority of the smoke out with our little fan and left all the windows open. I am sure the smoke detector needs batteries, because it should have gone off. After all the chaos we investigated. We found something in the bottom drawer (or what I thought was the bottom drawer). It was not recognizable. I finally remember that I put our electric knife in it's plastic case down there thinking it was a drawer, but in reality it was a broiler. Yes, I know not very smart, but in my defense I have never seen a broiler like that and it was under the oven like the drawers I am used to. So Glenn and I put the girls to bed and spent hours scrubbing EVERYTHING....the oven, walls, stove, appliances that were out, inside our washer and dryer and oh so much more. We still have hours left, but decided it was time for bed. Our house is covered in soot and so are we. The place still smells like melted plastic and a fire and I am sure that we do too. So there is our latest adventure.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I'm sure I've done that before!! I think it was while I was living in Campus Plaza!!

April, it is so great to have you close. We're actually only 3.5 hours away from each other!! We have to get together soon!

When you get a moment, send me your number and we'll talk . . .

KMDuff said...

Pretty scary. Sounds like something I would do too. I have set a towel on fire in the oven and left a pan in during an oven cleaning cycle. :P

It's gonna take a lot of febreze to get that out of your furniture!

Jen and Joe. said...

APRIL!! You're BLOGGING! Your girls are GORGEOUS, and you're SOOOOO close! (We live in Boston now...) Love ya!

Maren said...

Yikes! I did that back in my single student housing days! It was the plastic handle on a pot. Boy does that smell!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, usually I am the one burning things! I am glad that you are all ok, but I know how bad that smell is. I would have thought the same thing about the bottom drawer.

Who puts a broiler down there? Stupid NYC ovens!

"Super Bobo" to the rescue, go on tell the truth Glenn you are working for American Express that is just your cover. You put that fire out with your bare hands, I always new you had some specail powers. Finally the turth comes out.

Hope you guys have a great day!

Seth
"Everyone knows I'm training to become a cage fighter."