Our Family

Our Family
Glenn, April, Rebekah, Miriam, Marcus, and Dallin

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hudson Boat Ride

At work we had a team building activity where we spent 3 hours on a boat ride around the Hudson River. I work in the World Financial Center and there is a little dock area right outside my building. If you've seen the movie Hitch, it is where they board the Jet Skis to go out to Ellis Island. So, we boarded this large boat called the Rendezvous there......where we were served hors d'ourves (the crab cakes were excellent), drinks, and a large buffet......and we headed out onto the River.

We first went around lower Manhattan and started up the River between Brooklyn and Manhattan. We passed Battery Park, went under the Brooklyn Bridge, and all the way up towards mid-town, where we could see the Empire State Building. We then backtracked and headed out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. As we pulled up next to the Statue of Liberty, the DJ started playing "Coming to America"......Classic Neil Diamond, gotta love it. The boat view really is the best view of it, as you're almost too close to see when you're actually on the island. We then went up the Jersey side for a while, seeing more of both cities on each side, then headed back for the docks. It was very cool seeing things from the river perspective.

I also had a classic Mormon moment when one of my co-workers came up and saw glass of OJ in my hand. She asked what I was drinking and I said, "Orange Juice", she then started to say, "Oh, I haven't tried that one yet...." and started to talk about something called an Orange Blossom with Gin and OJ and stuff......before I said, "Actually, it's just Orange Juice." She kind of stopped, not sure what to say and I just smiled and continued chatting with her. I think she was feeling more awkward about it than I was. I think next time I'll have to clarify that it is a "Virgin OJ"......still learning the lingo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the OJ situation! Classic! While working in radio I used to drink Coca-Cola out of my "famous" X-Files mug. (not sure if you remember but picked that bad boy up while working at Blockbuster) Anyway people used to alwasys just assume that I was drinking coffee. They gave me the weirdest looks when the realized it was really just Coca-cola. I didn't care, because I wasn't about to let me sweet X-files mug go to waste and just sit around.

oh and yes I still have the mug, it broke on my mission when my companion dropped it. But I glued it back together and it makes a fine pen holder on my desk.

Man that was a long comment.

"Save the Empire"

Ok - bye!