Our Family

Our Family
Glenn, April, Rebekah, Miriam, Marcus, and Dallin

Monday, September 10, 2007

The Professional Commuter

One thing it is critical to know about the New York commute is never never mess with a new Yorker's stride.....they really won't like it. Because of this you have to make your own walk as efficient as possible, keep up the pace, and don't get distracted. So, after a week of practice I feel that I have learned the essentials of the NY commute.

Swipe your subway pass right the first time, you will not get a second chance without an angry look......a third try could lead to an angry comment.......a fourth swipe, well you don't even want to know. Stand with your toes on the yellow line and don't flinch when the train comes flying a foot and a half in front of you or you'll look like a tourist. Stand at an angle to enter the subway doors.......wait while the current riders walk straight forward, but start getting on the subway exactly when the last exiter takes their first step off the train (you wouldn't want to leave any door space unused). Grab a handle as quickly as possible or they may be gone and you will be stumbling as the train takes off. Know your stop and start moving towards the doors a little before arriving.....or you may not make it off.

When walking, never be the slowest one, but it is fine to be the fastest one.....just plan your passing moves in advance, so you don't break another's stride. Don't look right or left just know where you're going. If you don't know where you're going nobody cares......but get off to the side, because if you're in their way they WILL care.

So after a week of this, I am starting to blend in with the "Real" New Yorkers.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha, Glenn! For some reason I think it will take longer than a week for you to fit in as a New Yorker. You're still too nice.

KMDuff said...

this post cracked me up. i shared it with mike. :)

Anonymous said...

So funny Glenn! I can see you know doing this day in and day out. Being that I am a germ freak, may I suggest a little Purell after you arrive at the office. ha ha

Love your face!

Jen said...

I love this blog! Glen, I miss your humor. I agree with the Christensens, I am afraid it might take you a little longer to "fit" in. Your smile gives you away--you're not a New Yorker.

But, NY rocks. Michael and I have gone several times and hope to go again soon. Maybe we can meet up!

love to you both! And your darling girls!

Jen, Michael and boys